Guided by the values and expertise of medicine and public health, Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) works to protect human life from the gravest threats to health and survival.
What we do
PSR mobilizes physicians and health professionals to advocate for climate solutions and a nuclear weapons-free world. PSR’s health advocates contribute a health voice to energy, environmental health and nuclear weapons policy at the local, federal and international level.
Reframing Nuclear Disarmament as a Health and Humanitarian Issue, PSR’s Nuclear Weapons Abolition Program has contributed to the international civil society movement that has tactfully reframed the prohibition and elimination of nuclear weapons as an urgent health and humanitarian issue.
With the guidance of partners International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW) and International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), civil society advocates helped bring the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons to fruition at the United Nations. On July 7, 2017, more than 120 nations voted to adopt the first-ever treaty that categorically prohibits nuclear weapons, following prior successful bans on chemical and biological weapons that achieved their sharp curtailment.
BACK FROM THE BRINK INITIATIVE
PSR is a partner in Back from the Brink: The Call to Prevent Nuclear War a national grassroots initiative seeking to fundamentally change U.S. nuclear weapons policy and lead us away from the dangerous path we are on. The Call lays out five common-sense steps that the United States can and should take to reform its nuclear policy. We are asking organizations as well as town and city councils around the country to endorse The Call and build support for the U.S. government to adopt these policies as its highest national security priority. Join the effort and help build a safer world for our children to inherit.
Back from the Brink calls on the United States to lead a global effort to prevent nuclear war by:
- Renouncing the option of using nuclear weapons first
- Ending the sole, unchecked authority of any U.S. president to launch a nuclear attack
- Taking U.S. nuclear weapons off hair-trigger alert
- Cancelling the plan to replace its entire nuclear arsenal with enhanced weapons
- Actively pursuing a verifiable agreement among nuclear-armed states to eliminate their nuclear arsenals
To learn more about Back from the Brink and get involved, visit preventnuclearwar.org.
- Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear WeaponsThe International Humanitarian Movement for Nuclear Disarmament
- No First Use of Nuclear WeaponsUnder no circumstances should the United States start a nuclear war.
- Nuclear Disarmament & Public HealthThe Health and Humanitarian Case for Nuclear Disarmament
- Nuclear Weapons AbolitionPSR’s Nuclear Weapons Abolition Program amplifies the health professional voice to increase and broaden grassroots support for nuclear weapons abolition and to cultivate legislative initiatives to reduce the threat of nuclear weapons.
- Get Involved with PSRPSR brings together physicians, health professionals and advocates to chart avenues for action on the most pertinent health threats our world faces today.